Monday, October 5, 2009

My whole body went numb. I couldn't feel anything below my neck.
"I would like to ask one favour, though, if that's not too much," he said.
I wonder what he saw on my face, because something flickered across his own face in response. But, before I could identify it, he'd compose his features into the same serene mask.
"Anything," I vowed, my voice faintly stronger.
As I watched, his frozen eyes melted. The gold became liquid again, molten, burning down into mine with an intensity that was overwhelming.
"Don't do anything reckless or stupid," he ordered, no longer detached. "Do you understand what I'm saying?
I nodded helplessly.
His eyes cooled, the distance returned. "I'm thinking of Charlie, of course. He needs you. Take care of yourself-for him.
I nodded again. "I will," I whispered.
He seemed to relax just a little.
"And I'll make you a promise in return," he said. "I promise that this will be the last time you'll see me. I won't come back. I won't put you through anything like this again. You can go on with you're life without anymore interference from me. It will be as if I'd never existed."
He smiled gently. "Don't worry. You're human-your memory is no more than a sieve. Time heals all wounds for your kind."
"And your memories?" I asked. It sounded like there was something stuck in my throat, like I was choking.
"Well"-he hesitated for a second-"I won't forget. But my kind... we're very easily distracted." He smiled; The smile was tranquil and it did not touch his eyes.
He took a step away from me. "That's everything, I suppose. We won't bother you again."
"Alice isn't coming back," I realized. I don't know how he heard me-the words made no sound but he seemed to understand.
He shook his head slowly, always watching my face.
"No, they're all gone. I stayed behind to tell you goodbye."
I tried to breathe normally. I needed to concentrate, to find my way out of this nightmare.
"Goodbye, Bella," he said in the same quiet, peaceful voice.
"Wait!" I choked out the word, reaching for him, willing my deadened to carry me forward.
I thought he was reaching for me, too. But his cold hands locked around my wrists and pinned them to my sides. He leaned down, and pressed his lips very lightly to my forehead for the briefest instant. My eyes closed.
"Take care of yourself," he breathed, cool against my skin.
There was a light, unnatural breeze. My eyes flashed open. The leaves on a small vine maple shuddered with the gentle wind of his passage.
He was gone.

-New Moon; Stephenie Meyer.
This would have to be my most favourite passage from a book.
It has a really deep meaning for me. Imy.

No comments: